David T. Azrin is an experienced franchise law attorney.
Mr. Azrin assists companies in expanding their business through franchising and other distribution arrangements and counseling on corporate structure, trademark protection, licensing agreements, and employment arrangements. He represents start-up and established franchisors, manufacturers, distributors, and master franchisors, as well as franchisees.
With respect to franchisors, Mr. Azrin assists start-up and established franchisors with preparing their franchise agreements and Franchise Disclosure Documents, complying with state registration requirements, preparing and negotiating master franchise agreements, registering and defending trademarks, and resolving disputes with franchisees. With respect to franchisees, Mr. Azrin helps franchisees negotiate franchise agreements, negotiate lease agreements, form corporations, purchase existing franchises, and resolve disputes with franchisors.
Mr. Azrin also assists his clients as they grow on trademark/copyright issues, as well as employment law issues. He has substantial experience in obtaining trademark registrations, defending/prosecuting trademark/copyright claims, and handling employment law matters.
Mr. Azrin is the current chair of the New York State Bar Association Committee on Franchise, Distribution and Licensing Law.
In his career, Mr. Azrin has handled hundreds of litigation matters, involving various types of business disputes, franchise matters, intellectual property, employment law, defamation, corporate disputes, and real estate disputes. He has tried 12 cases to jury verdict, and handled several arbitrations and appeals.
Mr. Azrin has received the highest AV rating by the peer review Martindale-Hubbell.
For many consecutive years, Franchise Times has honored Mr. Azrin as a “Legal Eagle." Legal Eagles are the top 125 lawyers in franchising, as nominated by their peers and as determined by a Franchise Times editorial panel.
Mr. Azrin is annually selected as one of U.S. News & World Report's Best Lawyers in America and as a New York Metro Super Lawyer in the area of franchising and distribution law.
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association
- ABA Forum on Franchising
- International Trademark Association
- New York State Bar, Chair Franchise Licensing & Distribution Committee.
- University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, J.D. 1988 Law Review, Note Editor, University of Michigan Law Review, 1986-1988
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, California, 1985 Major: Economics, with Honors Major: Political Science, with Distinction Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Florida, 1988
- New York, 1999
- New Jersey, 2000
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, 1988
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida, 1990
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 2001
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit, 1990
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, 2005
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- Martindale-Hubbell Highest AV Rating
- Avvo Top Rated Attorney
- Franchise Times Magazine Top Franchise Attorney (“Legal Eagle”)
- New York Metro Super Lawyer
- Chair of the New York State Bar Franchise, Distribution, and Licensing Law Committee