Primary Practice AreasCooperative and Condominium Law
Real Estate Law
EDUCATIONBoston College Law School, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts J.D., 1974
- Finalist, Wendell F. Grimes Moot Court Competition and Best Brief Award, 1973
- Executive Director, Boston College Legal Assistance Bureau, 1972-1974
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Madison, NJ, 1970-B.A. cum laude
- Major: Political Science
- New York, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York, 1975
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York, 1975
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit, 1976
- Massachusetts, 1977
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- U.S. Court of Appeals, D.C. Circuit, 1980
- Pennsylvania, 1981
For more than thirty years, Mr. Berkowitz has handled a variety of litigation from trials through appeals, in all courts in New York with respect to every aspect of real estate law.
These matters include partnership disputes; transaction disputes; disputes between cooperative and condominium boards and shareholders and owners; disputes between boards and sponsors and professionals and contractors; and commercial and residential disputes concerning conditions, terms of lease, and the like.
He has served as a volunteer Special Master in Supreme Court, New York County mediating real estate disputes in pending actions since May 1997, and as a volunteer Judge at New York University Law School’s moot court program since 1981.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York County Lawyers Association Supreme Court Committee representative to Association of the Bar of the City of New York Judicial Recertification Committee, 2017 - present
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York – Member, Committee on Condominium and Cooperative Law, 1994 -1995
- New York County Lawyers Association - Supreme Court Committee - Member 1985 to present, Co-Chair 2008 - 2012
- Sherrill v Grayco Builders Inc., 64 N.Y. 2d 261 (1985) Established principle that right to arbitration can be waived by extensive litigation activity.
- Pilat v. Sachs, 42 N.Y. 2d 984 (1977) [defeating a challenge to petitions designating a candidate for Mayor of NYC].
- Thompson v Wallace, 45 N.Y. 2d 803, 408 N.Y.S. 2d 6 (1978) [defeated challenge to designating petitions for candidate for State senator].
- Mittman v. Netherland Gardens Corp. 55 A.D. 3d 513, 865 N.Y.S.2d 553 (1st Dept. 2008) [successfully defended classification of unsold shares for purchaser in a cooperative corporation].
- 74 Eldert LLC. v. Sharp Realty LLC. 129 A.D. 3d 821, 9 N.Y.S. 3d 884 (2nd Dept. 2015) [defeating a challenge to so ordered settlement agreement].
- Board of Directors Windsor Owners Corp. v. Platt, 148. A.D. 3d 645, 49 N.Y.S. 3d 293 (1st Dept. 2017) [Affirmed finding of contempt against a cooperative Board member who violated an injunction against disclosing privileged communications].
- Judge Yale Invitational Mock Trial Tournament, 2017-present
- Judge N.Y. U. Moot Court Competition, 1981-present
- Judge Empire New York 2019 Mock Trial Competition