Technology & Digital Asset Practice
There are parallels between the growth of digital assets and blockchain technology today, and the beginning of the Internet era during the 1990s. Both of these technological advances required creative and knowledgeable legal counsel to navigate the uncertainties of the developing technologies, governmental regulation, scaling, and the legal issues involved.
There are practical applications to blockchain technology across a diverse spectrum of industries, from real estate to art to consumer goods. Digital assets will be better regulated, and over time, there will be more adoption of blockchain by mainstream businesses. And, like the Internet in its infancy in the 1990s, significant new wealth will be created.
Gallet Dreyer & Berkey has a long history of pioneering legal fields and creating the necessary infrastructure to assist clients involved in complex emerging technologies and asset classes. Our digital assets team works with entrepreneurs, developers, and investors to help navigate this new world compliantly and profitably. This includes addressing the already significant legal challenges that vary across states and countries regarding blockchain operations, intellectual property protection, licensing, and regulatory compliance. Our attorneys also counsel clients in the use, preservation, and distribution of these new assets and in the launch, growth, and operation of their businesses globally.
Clients also benefit from our firm’s unique ability to tap the knowledge base of experienced attorneys across multiple practices, so they are well-positioned to succeed at every stage of their life cycle – from early-stage startups raising funds to building new blockchain technologies.
Technology & Digital Asset Practice Blog
In The Press
Among the areas in which Gallet Dryer & Berkey assists clients include:
Business FormationRead More
- Formation of business entities and joint ventures for the production, investment, and transaction of digital assets, cryptocurrencies, and tokens;
- Agreements for the purchase, sale, custody, transfer, and escrow of digital assets;
- Platform and marketplace development;
- Master Service Agreements;
- Trademark protection and enforcement strategies for virtual goods;
- Joint venture and collaboration agreements involving digital goods;
- Intellectual property licensing and asset protection strategies, including rights clearance, due diligence, and terms of service involving NFTs and other digital assets;
- Influencer marketing agreements involving digital assets;
- Agreements involving NFTs in video games, digital fashion, endorsements, and collaborations;
- NFTs, copyrights, licensing, and distribution agreements;
- Criminal defense, including white-collar defense; and
- International tax law;
Asset Protection & Wealth PreservationRead More
Asset Protection & Wealth Preservation
- Creation of asset protection trusts for digital assets in the United States and offshore;
- Estate planning for digital assets; and
- Tax treatment, reporting requirements, and tax planning for digital assets.
Representative MattersRead More
- Creation of asset protection trusts for digital assets, utilizing crypto-savvy trustees, banks and other custodians in crypto jurisdictions;
- Negotiate and draft agreement for the purchase, escrow, sale and transfer of founder tokens of major NFT marketplace;
- Formation of U.S. and offshore entities which invest and transact in digital currencies and tokens; advise on appropriate offshore jurisdiction and U.S. tax compliance;
- Creation of trusts containing digital assets and crypto currencies for estate and tax planning.