Allen A. Drexel
Primary Practice Areas
Allen A. Drexel concentrates his practice on complex family law issues, including divorce, equitable distribution of business and financial assets, spousal and child support, contested child custody cases, paternity proceedings, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, and same-sex family law matters.
Whether negotiating agreements, mediating disputes, or, when necessary, advocating in the trial and appellate courts, Mr. Drexel strives to achieve practical, creative, and cost-effective solutions to the challenging and often emotionally charged issues facing his clients. He has written and lectured extensively on these topics and has been cited in The New York Times, the New York Law Journal, New York Magazine, The Daily Beast, Above the Law, and other publications regarding family law issues.
- Report: 1,324 Reasons for Marriage Equality in New York State, project co-coordinator and lead drafter, with Ross Levi, Esq., for New York City Bar Association and Empire State Pride Agenda, June 8, 2007.
- Children’s Best Interests: Divorce Law, Same-Sex Marriage Debate, N.Y.L.J., Mar. 23, 2006 (with Robert Stephan Cohen).
Professional Associations & Memberships
- New York State Bar Association, Family Law Section, 2006-present (Executive Committee, 2012-present; Co-Chair, LGBT Rights Committee, 2012-2018)
- New York City Bar Association, 2001-present (Matrimonial Law Committee, 2017-present, 2010-2013; Co-Chair, LGBT Rights Committee, 2005-2008)
- Cave Canem Foundation, Board of Directors, 2018-present (Secretary, 2020-present); non-profit organization supporting Black poets and Black poetry
- Stanford Law School, J.D. 2000
- University of Sussex, M.A. 1992
- Dartmouth College, A.B. 1991, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Dean's Prize
- New York State
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2013 - 2022 | Rising Stars: 2011
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Rating
- Arthur S. Leonard Prize 2016, New York City Bar Association career award for “tireless efforts on behalf of the LGBT community”
- Selected for inaugural issue of National Law Journal’s “Trailblazers in Divorce, Trusts & Estates,” National Law Journal, 2016
- Graduate Service Award, Stanford University, 2000